Sunday, 16 January 2011

Step 1 - I want to stop because.....

All smokers know they should stop. They also know the reasons why they should stop:

                                                                Improved Health



                                                                    Children     


                                                              Others Around Them
    

                                                                           Money




Why do I want to stop? Usually because I am told that it is what I should want!?
Not this time!

But I am also aware that all the reasons above and not the reasons why I want to stop, because lets face it - if the scare strategies worked, if those reasons that are drilled into all smokers mattered to me, then I would have stopped a long time ago, in fact I wouldn't have started smoking.

What I have realised is that it is the reasons why I smoke that I need to rethink.
I started because I thought it would make me look cool and save me from being bullied, perhaps there is still an element of that - which I know now is no reason at all.
I have a lot of friends who don't smoke - and I think they are some of the greatest people ever (not to say my friends who do smoke are any less awesome!).
Smoking doesn't destress me - biologically it is a stimulant, it increases the chemical reactions in my body that are the same as stress - the destresser is when I walk away from the thing that is stressing me to go for the cigarette.
Smoking doesn't help my concentration, it makes it worse because when I begin to crave I lose the focus on the task at hand!

Why do I want to stop - because I am fed up. I am a self admitted control freak (friends and family will confirm!) and I obsessively try my best to control everything - my day (I hate when plans change unexpectedly), my finances (internet banking is one of my home pages), my life ( 5 year plan - try 15 year plan!!!). Yet everyday, every hour, I let something else control me. I work my life around cigarettes - I leave the house ten minutes earlier than what I need to so I can have my morning cigarette at the station and I leave work five minutes earlier than I need to so I can do the exact same thing before I head home.

I am fed up being an addict! I want to be another type of person - one who is fit and happy and most importantly - IN CONTROL!

2 days to go.... till d-day!

No comments:

Post a Comment