Monday, 20 September 2010

Its an addiction - not a phase!

Addiction is defined as the condition of being addicted (to a habit) or of being an addict; specif., the habitual use of narcotic drugs.

Cigarettes contain nicotine, its the part that is addictive within the concoction of lethal poisons that are mixed together into some sort of suicidal cocktail.

If I had one wish it would be that I never stopped smoking in the first place (with a very close close second being the manner in which I lost my virginity - but that's another story, one which I will never tell you unless you ply me with alcohol and probably give me a fag!). Alas I have no magic wand, no genie in a bottle; just my will power fighting Mr Nasty and years of positive subconscious images of how cool it is to smoke.

As you can probably tell at this point i have hit somewhat of a low point in my journey. I celebrated my birthday on Friday night and there was alcohol and food and merriment and gossip and usually I wouldn't be able to resist a good few cigarettes but the thought never crossed my mind. Saturday night shift - I would have killed someone for their packet of fags, in fact I nearly did - the poor lamb I was working with, needless to say I ended up smoking. Problem was I had fags left over - shame to waste them and all that - smoked 3 today!

Dam it!! I was doing so well. You know what though I am stressed, I am tired, I am fed up, I am hungry all the fricking time, I am dramatic and upset and moody all the time and I miss cigarettes. I miss being a smoker! WTF is that all about?!?!



I try and stick to my image of Mr Nasty - but he is winning. I need a push, no, a shove back on track again and hopefully confessing to you lot will help me. I am almost frightened to admit when I slide back into old habits, I cannot be bothered with the look of disappointment my parents/friends/boyfriend will give me when I say it - so I don't, then become addicted to the secrecy, eventually get caught (boyfriend caught me fabulously the last time - fag in mouth - no weaseling out that one!).

Somehow though I know that the blog is helping, which is why I have decided to come clean this time. Tomorrow is a new day and I am hoping that a full day of studying will help keep my mind off it! I don't want to smoke and I have come so far - but its hard. This ain't like giving up chocolate or biting your nails. I ain't some 5 year old who won't stop sucking their thumb... I am an Addict! I am an Addict fighting and Addiction. I am an Addict fighting an Addiction to a drug which is defined as HIGHLY ADDICTIVE.

Looks of disappointment aside - I think people need to remember that!

1 comment:

  1. nightshifts are one of the hardest times hun...keep going, it's just a slip!!xxx

    ReplyDelete