Friday, 5 August 2011

Swapping one addiction for another...

So as my 3rd week with (almost) no cigarettes passes by I decided that it was time for another positive change. Having listened to my body and mind I have a real sense of accomplishment for this quit attempt, to tell you the truth I cannot believe, for the most part, how easy it has been this time.

I think the reason is because this attempt is for me - not for a bf, or friends, or family, or for a single reason like a health scare or finances. All of these are perfectly valid reasons - but on their own its not enough and when you have to overcome an addiction, other people are not worth it.

Harsh maybe, but that is the way that you think as an addict -  or as a human being. We resent people who make us give something up - be it free time, a choice... whatever! Sometimes the resentment is fleeting, other times it can become deep rooted. Addiction tends to come under the latter.

But this week - to mark my 3rd week of being a non-smoker and smirter (smoking and flirt-er - see previous blog for details) I did something that was purely for me - I swapped one addiction for another - and joined the gym!

Now - the cartoon illustrates my feelings about a gym - and yet I have sold my soul for 1 solid year. But here's the thing - my last proper quit attempt was about 2 years ago and I lived near a sports centre at the time - whenever I had an urge I would head to there and blast off 30 mins of cardio or do a class whatever and the feeling would go away.

Today I am not super close to the gym - but I am addicted to kettlebells and a hungover zumba session on a sunday is too good an opportunity to miss. My gym membership is going to cost £36.50 a month - sounds a lot - but here is the clincher - I'd spend that on fags - a week!!!

So for 1/4 of the money I am going to look and feel amazing - don't get me wrong it's a tough world and it's going to take me a lot longer and a lot more effort to belong to this group ----->







<------ rather than this group!




but I know which side of the fence I would rather be on... because I don't want to end up in this group:

No comments:

Post a Comment