Tuesday, 19 July 2011

A week in the life of....

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
~William Shakespeare

A week can feel like a lifetime. In this past week I have had tremendous highs, laughed until my sides hurt, heard of great loss, worked over 60 hours, used up 3/4 of my tank of petrol, read 1 book, sent 100s of texts, several e-mails and have had 0 cigarettes!

Time is an interesting concept. Although our world has a natural sense of time - the seasons, sunset and sunrise and the planets circle of the sun, it was human beings who created time as we know it know. We count our years, split them up into more manageable chunks so that we can wrap our heads around this concept. Going even further these months are split into weeks, weeks into days, days into hours, hours into minutes.

When you are giving up smoking you are usually given some sort of patronising help book or leaflet from the pharmacy - written by people who have probably never smoked a day in their life but have enough qualifications and research skills that they can tell other people how to give up their addiction. (not that I have an issue with this... or anything).

Advice shifts, depending on where you go, but one things has remained ironically constant over all of my quit attempts. I am always told: TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME. Encouraged to reward myself for getting through a day, a week, a month, a year. I don't have a problem with this - in fact my facebook status today is 1 week :) But here is the thing - a week is a small part of the rest of my life, so much happened this week - things that are more important than me and my personal issues, and that has given me some perspective. 

I'll keep up the blog of course - bad things happen to people all the time and people still enjoy music, comedy, friends and laughter. Life must go on, as they say. However, maybe a little less self-centred blabbering to the world is a good thing. So I am going to take this opportunity to say thank you to everyone in my life who is supporting me in this blog, in my quit attempt, and in my life in general.

Now I am away to do some chores - and show my parents how much I love and appreciate them. If anybody reads this blog - do me a favour today - hug somebody you love - hug them really hard.

Have a happy day folks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment